Tuesday 7 December 2010

When I'm Cleaning Windows




Something is not quite right.... an eery silence has descended. Where is my 7am wake up knock, accompanied by coughing, spluttering and (undoubtedly) swearing in Polish? Where are the endless mugs that litter every room with half drunk cups of coffee? Where the industrial saw in the kitchen?

That's right kids, the builders have gone and I am left feeling strangely bereft! After such a constant presence in my life for 9 months, it feels odd to have the house back, when I say back, I never had it to be begin with. Somehow it always felt more like their house than mine, forever apologising for getting in their way, mortified when we ran out of milk (which they drank!).

Still one door closes and another opens, my brief feeling of emptiness has been swiftly replaced by an even more demanding presence, the dust!
Since buying the house we have lived in a temporary stylee, belongings in boxes, ignoring rooms and allowing the dust to accumulate. I am now faced with actually moving in and cleaning up and oh my lord what a mammoth task it is!

Keen as mustard, on Sunday morning I set too, I had committed the whole day to the task....(jealous?!) Surely enough to conquer 3 rooms at the very least. After wandering aimlessly debating exactly where/ how to start this ludicrous task I opted for the kitchen. Gloves on, Mr Muscle in hand I was ready for anything.

2 hours later, 3 cupboards cleaned, 4 hours later, approximately a quarter done. It was at this stage I really began to wish we had packed everything neatly into storage. .. 6 hours later, I hit the half way mark and began to loose the will to live. But I would not be beaten, so it was that 12, read them, 12 hours of solid cleaning later, I finally had a clean kitchen...

So, only the rest of the house to go.... then there's the decorating!

1 comment:

  1. wooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooo... remember to dust with a damp cloth, or it will all come back!

    ReplyDelete