Sunday, 7 November 2010
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
I have been somewhat lax on updates and this certainly isn't due to lack of progress. On the contrary, my dear friends, we have moved the woeful dread of eternally living in a dusty squat with no ceilings or plaster on the walls to seeing real light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.
I cannot tell you the sheer joy of walking onto the landing and seeing a white, smooth wall. Yes it is just a small section of wall and the rest is still bare plaster/ huge crack which has not yet been fixed, but there is some white and that makes me happy.
A small summary of recent works:
1. Rip down ceilings in hall way, landing and bedroom
2. Remove all plaster from said walls (levels of dust such that had to leave the house or risk asphyxiation!)
3. Remove existing architrave and skirting board
4. Apply some kind of tape thing which apparently stops cracks from appearing in future (no idea what it is, a Polish thing I think).
5. Apply new plaster board to ceilings
6. Apply plaster to ceilings
7. Apply plaster to walls
8. Install new veluxe window in roof (much anguish over how/ where etc.)
9. Sand all plaster - repeatedly (more dust)
10. Install fireplace in bedroom
11. Build shelves and cupboards in bedroom alcoves
12. Build floor to ceiling cupboard in hallway (currently an eye-sore, am confident will come good and be very effective use of space)
13. Move ugly gas pipe and box in gas meter previous placed in the middle of the hallway.
The end.... so far, watch this space.....